The Spam Experiment

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Email addresses in usenet newsgroups

Back in the day it was possible to get spammed by posting your email in usenet newsgroups.

I am trying to determine if that is still the case. I'm looking for a usenet server that will allow me to post a few messages to various usenet groups. I'd like to do some bulk posting if possible. I know I can register with Google and view/post to usenet. However I've tried that with no success. What I'd like to do is be able to post to a broad variety of newsgroups in a quick fashion.

I know that spammers used to use software that was written to search newsgroups for email addresses and harvest these addresses for their spam lists.

So that is my goal today.

If you know of any good services that might allow me to do some bulk posting please let me know!

I'll keep you posted of my results. I'm using a special email address strictly for this purpose. We'll be able to track what spam I get, if any from this method.

Regards,
Ben Fitts
ben@benfitts.com

PS. Have a great holiday!

6 Comments:

  • Just to let you know that it certainly is possible... or rather it is a certainty... that you will get spam if you post your e-mail address to Usenet.

    It's best to get it around as many groups in as many hierarchies as possible. The spam flow begins almost immediately.

    By Blogger Eddie, at December 23, 2004 at 4:12 PM  

  • This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this virus software site, it's pretty awesome too!

    By Blogger tweedledeetweedledum, at October 1, 2005 at 11:43 AM  

  • One good resource for marketing software and many more free software alternatives is Software4YourSuccess.com
    Yes it is my site and I would love for you to drop by for a second. From there you will have free access to several of my products such as The Marketing Toolbar (which is goldmine of information on how to do things quickly and on the cheap, thus saving you time and money).
    Also for webmasters I have created Webmaster Wizards, which will help you with almost every aspect of putting code on your site from things such as legal and privacy disclaimers to popunders. I have so much content and free software there I could fill up this whole blog, so check it out Thanks, Sincerely Rob Rudd

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 10, 2005 at 11:21 PM  

  • Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
    will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
    one.
    Please go over my home based business insurance blog.

    By Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business, at February 15, 2006 at 3:57 PM  

  • As a top-rated company in the world of ecommerce, Infyecommercesolution has carved out a niche for itself and with the ecommerce solution provided by the company receiving accolades from clients all over the world, it has, in the true sense of the word, grown up to be a top-notch outsourcing software development company. For details on all the services provided by the company, visit http://www.infyecommercesolution.com.

    By Anonymous ecommercewebmaster12, at November 3, 2008 at 11:51 PM  

  • Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home